Elementary School children shown Liberal Obama “I Pledge” video

An Elementary School Principal has apologized for showing a video which has been called “radical, leftist propaganda”.

According to the Salt Lake City Tribune:

Children at Eagle Bay Elementary School in Farmington were shown a short video called “I pledge” on Aug. 28. The video opens with an image of President Barack Obama and part of a speech in which he says, “Let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other.”

The video then features celebrities making pledges about how they will help the president and the world — and that’s where some say the problem lies.

But other pledges, such as “to never give anyone the finger when I’m driving again,” “to sell my obnoxious car and buy a hybrid”, “I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama,”, “Not flush the toilet after urinating, only after a ‘number two’ “, and “To advance stem cell research” cross the line, some say.

“Showing the video in a public school is completely inappropriate,” said Jennifer Cieslewicz, whose daughter is a first-grader at the school. “I don’t believe a video such as this that promotes certain values should be shown to elementary students, especially without parents being aware. “

Cieslewicz said such values should be decided in the home, not at school.

“They shouldn’t be troubling our youth with the woes of the world and making them feel like we’re in slavery or they have to worry about how many times they flush the toilet or if they have a plastic water bottle,” Cieslewicz said, referring to pledges in the video to “end slavery.”

i pledge

Comments

11 Responses to “Elementary School children shown Liberal Obama “I Pledge” video”
  1. steve says:

It’s a travesty when our country has lost so much respect for President’s position that it will not allow him to speak authentically without being considered a political opportunist. Like any president, Obama has his challenges. However, he was a successful academic, so why won’t we let him attempt to inspire our children scholastically?
    Are these opponents politically charged on their own agenda or do they really feel that Obama is going to deliver subliminal messages on his misguided economic policies? Either way, this argument is not worthy of any further time or attention.

2. AnnQ says:

Steve -I’m unsure if you read the article or watched the video. However, the video was not solely to encourage children scholastically. In fact, the majority of the video had nothing to do with education.

The majority of it centered around things like Stem Cell Research…while I’m very much for stem cell research, I also feel this has no place in an Elementary School. I think it’s too bad you don’t feel issues such as this are important enough for a discussion.,

3. steve says:

Although is message has a political tag, I feel that inspiring adults and children to stand for something positive is a good thing. Since the producer and its participants of this video chose to weave their message into a support the president message, those who choose not to support the president will find a reason to take exception. If Eisenhower, JFK or LBJ delivered a similar message in their time, I doubt it would have been received with such polarity and repugnance. I feel that the American culture continues to regress into a society of separatists and haters.
    Ann, I don’t understand why would you respond to my previous comment with the following remark, “I think it’s too bad you don’t feel issues such as this are important enough for a discussion”?

4. AnnQ says:

Agreed regarding inspiring comments, although nobody said comments which were purely positive or inspiring shouldn’t have been shown (which is why there was the sentence in my article saying “Many pledges, such as supporting local food banks, smiling more, and caring for the elderly are noncontroversial. “).

The concern stems around telling children not to flush the toilet until after they’ve had a bowel movement and not while they’ve only urinated, as well as supporting stem cell research.

Particularly in the case of the latter comment, if someone is too young to fully understand implications of both sides of an issue, there’s zero reason for them to have it posed to them.

Also, regarding your question as to why I said “I think it’s too bad you don’t feel issues such as this are important enough for a discussion”, I only said it as the last sentence of your previous comment was: “Either way, this argument is not worthy of any further time or attention.”

5. Cristy says:

Usually, I think I agree with you, Ann, but on this one, I think I’m going to have to *sort of* agree with Steve. By that, I mean I have to agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with JUST this part of what Steve said:

“It’s a travesty when our country has lost so much respect for President’s position that it will not allow him to speak authentically without being considered a political opportunist. Like any president, Obama has his challenges. However, he was a successful academic, so why won’t we let him attempt to inspire our children”

I can’t *believe* how much respect for the position of “President of the United States” has gone down in the last quarter century. Also, I purposely left out the last word that Steve said, which was that Obama was trying to inspire our children scholastically. I don’t think that’s what Obama’s trying to do here at all. I *do* think, however, that Obama sees things like the environment, global warming, hate crimes, respect for the elderly, volunteerism, and working together as a community as very important topics in the current political world. I believe he sees them as important and worth working on, and worth getting children hyped up about. And, I think that’s what he’s trying to do with this video. Get kids excited about topics he believes are crucial to be worked on in the world today.

And, I think ANY president would do this. And, I don’t care what their agenda is, I think ANY would do it. You might not hear the complaints as loudly from the other side, depending on who it is, but presidents have been doing this for years. Sometimes they do it in much subtler ways, but they always do it. And, I think it’s smart. How else to get the next generation on your side, than to get them excited and humming? The kids know what to do and how to get started. I know as an elementary school kid, that’s what I’d WANT from my president. Give me a mission. Tell me how I can make you proud!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. The nation voted him in! He got in with a majority vote! Everybody seems to forget that. He didn’t sneak in. He didn’t cheat or steal the oval office. He got there nice and fairly. The people that didn’t want him there need to buck up and work with what they have now and quit whining about the raw deal they got. He has a right to share his plan with the kids of the country. Parents of America need to trust their kids to be smart enough to judge on their own whether they want to believe or follow what they see in the video. What is it saying of a parent who thinks their kid is going to blindly follow it?

*Sorry. Got on a bit of a soap box there…

6. AnnQ says:

Hi Cristy – I agree with both you and Steve in one regard…I definitely believe inspiring children to be of Service is a good, positive thing, especially if it’s just to be a bit nicer and to Volunteer, plus hopefully put things in the trash or maybe toss a water bottle into the Recycling Bin.

I’m not anti-Obama….I think he’s an amazing, brilliant man. I’m simply anti-some-of-the-things-Obama-does. :-)

I still don’t think mentioning Stem Cell Research was a great idea….maybe if that was only included in the video for High School Students, but not so much for 6 and 7 year olds (but that’s just my opinion…).

(And I appreciate Soap Boxes! It just means someone is passionate about what they believe in, which is always great to see! :-) )

7. Kelly says:

Like, Cristy, I’m a on the fence about this one – yes, I believe it’s good for our President (and some celebrities) to try to encourage the nation’s youth to develop core beliefs, stand up for them, get inspired, volunteer their time, be role models, etc. But like you, I think a couple of these issues, particularly stem cell research, are too complicated and morally loaded to be included in a video aimed at school children.

Great post, Ann! I love topics like this one that start a discussion!

8. Cristy says:

Honestly, if I were a school kid (say, 4th grade or so, and I saw this video, and I *happened* to catch the stem cell reference, I think I would ask my mom about it. I don’t think it would influence me in any way, it would just pique my curiosity. But, I do understand where you are coming from.

9. Vince says:

Every year, Beloit College puts out a mindset list, which helps to understand the frame of reference for incoming freshmen.

Here’s the class of 2013: http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2013.php

“There has always been blue Jell-O” – I don’t like blue jell-o, and I don’t like blue m&ms either. Before the blue ones, I never really thought of the food dye. With the incoming freshmen class, they don’t associate the blue m&ms with food dye, because they didn’t see that inflection point.

For the kids watching this video, stem cells will have always been a topic, and if they only hear one side of it, then the debate is already over. We may argue about it for the next 10 years, but if these kids grew up with only one side of the debate – that’s their side. Blue foods aren’t an issue anymore, and I’m outdated. Stem cells won’t be an issue in a few years either, they’ll be accepted doctrine.

I’m entirely for stem cell research, but I see this kind of advertisement as a cultural inflection point that kills the long-term argument. That’s how the world changes, right? The old facts die off – that’s history.

10. Travis says:

… I have nothing to add except… VINCE and CRISTY summed it up quite nicely.

Thanks guys!

11. AnnQ says:

I agree….Vince’s feedback actually was the straw that pushed me over into changing my mind.