Seven things men want in a relationship
A few weeks ago, a single friend asked me what I thought men are looking for in relationships. She wanted to know if all we want is sex and a beautiful woman.
Men are much deeper than you might think when it comes to what we want in relationships. Granted, if what a guy’s looking for is something very short term, the list is pretty basic (good looking and available). However, when a man wants something real and lasting, the list changes quite a bit, just like I’m sure it does for women.
So what most men want, and need, in a relationship are the following things:
1. Someone we can Trust – Life is stressful, and you need to know she’ll be there to lean on once in a while.
2. Love - Despite what some women believe, men really are looking to fall in love and to be loved.
3. A woman we find Attractive – She doesn’t have to be perfect, but she does need to be attractive enough to turn us on.
4. Emotional Stability – A woman can’t go off and have tantrums all the time. It makes us think she’s a bit crazy and unstable.
5. Appreciation – Men like to feel you notice and appreciate things we do, especially the ones we do for you. Men like to hear compliments sometimes, too, and the word ‘appreciate’ goes a really long way with guys.
6. Great Sex – This doesn’t mean swinging off the proverbial chandeliers, but you can’t have a long-term relationship without things being good in the bedroom.
7. Someone fun and with a good sense of humor – Some people can be so nit-picky about tiny things that it just drains the fun out of situations. We want someone we can laugh with and who likes at least some the fun stuff we like to do.
When it comes right down to it, men and women are looking for a lot of the same things when it comes to a romantic relationship — we want a stable partner we’re attracted to, a person who can make us happy, and someone who we can make happy, too.
If men have the seven things listed above in a dating situation, chances are good we’re with a woman we want to be with for a long time.
Vince is an Enterprise Architect for an Global airline in New York, and has a degree in Computer Science. He works out six days a week, and completed his first half Marathon last year. Vince currently lives in Connecticut with his fabulous girlfriend, and their two awesome, adopted dogs.